How We Develop Players
Or, more importantly, how will we develop your child? We believe this is a pretty big question, that rarely is answered. You may be told about a coach’s resume, or the importance of certain leagues but does the club have a long-term plan for the players within its care?
Corpus Christi FC Academy is a youth soccer club and academy. We believe that carries some importance. A club means a group of people with shared values and traits. A club has an identity. A club sticks together. A club is on the same page.
We do not believe Team A should be unrecognizable to Team B. We do not believe a player should have to relearn the game from year to year. We do not believe coaches should coach the same team from cradle to grave.
We Feel that youth soccer should be about something more than gaining results so you can win the annual recruiting war.
This is how we structure our training environment. There are many other ways and we do not claim to have a full proof player development philosophy as a club. But we do claim to have one…
A Style of Play. Start with the End in Mind.
THE FOUR ELEMENTS OF THE CORPUS CHRISTI FC ACADEMY STYLE OF PLAY
1. BUILDING FROM THE BACK
Starting build-up from the goalkeeper, looking to play into the feet of the closest open player.
To maximize touches of the ball and initiate our progressive possession. To create confident, risk-taking and pressure-resistant players. To draw out the opposition, giving space for our forwards to attack when we play through the press.
2. PROGRESSIVE POSSESSION
Keeping the ball, shifting the opposition and playing a penetrative pass at the right moment.
- To create players that are confident in passing and receiving the ball.
- To develop players’ understanding of attacking tactical concepts.
3. ATTACK MINDED
Our teams aim to create as many goal-scoring opportunities as possible.
- To create innovative, exciting and creative players that dominate 1v1 situations.
- To complete attacking moves with creation of goal scoring opportunities.
4. PRESS FROM THE FRONT
GPS teams aim to win the ball as high up the field as possible, with all players playing a role in the defensive phase.
- To help us win the ball as quickly as possible so we can exercise the three other aspects of our Style of Play.
- To ensure all our players are capable in all phases of the game.